ORIGINAL WORKS OF THE HUCHETTE
Since its opening in 1948 under the direction of Georges Vitaly, the Theatre de la Huchette has dedicated itself to promoting contemporary playwrights, discovering most notably Jacques Audiberti and Georges Schehadé.
In 1952 when Marcel Pinard took over as sole manager of the theatre he continues in this direction, presenting the plays of authors such as Eugene Ionesco and Jean Tardieu until La Cantatrice Chauve and La Leçon become permanent acts.
Following the death of Marcel Pinard in 1975 and after a merciless struggle led by the director Jacques Legré and his administrator Françoise Alessandri, the Ionesco Show troupe takes over management of the theatre and creates the SARL « Théâtre de la Huchette ».It aspires to see its theatre become once again place of creation and innovation. Nicolas Bataille and Marcel Cuvelier are appointed the directors of this new era. It is for this reason that since 1981 a third show is presented every evening at 9:00 pm after Ionesco’s plays.
Since the passing of Nicolas Bataille and the artistic retirement of Marcel Cuvelier director Jean-Noël Hazemann has maintained this policy and continues to offer the public new, original works.